Translate

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

August 30 2016

Yesterday my host family and I went to visit my host grandma in her apartment. Driving into the city was a crazy experience because the streets are so small it looks like I can touch both walls with my hands. Watching my host brother turn the car into a tiny garage on a tiny street seemed like magic. Walking along the main street where vendors were selling candles for the parade of Saint Giovanni, my host mom suddenly opened a door between a bakery and a clothing store and walked in. It took me a second to realize that this door led to the apartments where my host family lives. 
My host brother, his friend and I were sent up stairs to see my host grandma, while my host mom dropped a few things off at her apartment on the floor below. After eating ice cream and hearing a few stories we made our way down to my host families apartment. It is so beautiful and big, and it overlooks the main street and square. We were able to watch the whole procession from one of the many balconies. My host mom also took me on a quick tour of the surrounding streets and nearest church. Everything was beautiful. The first day of celebration ended with fire works which almost gave me a heart attack. 
After this excursion to the city my host family took me to eat at the pizzeria close to the beach house. The food was amazing as everyone has told me it would be. 
Despite having finished dinner at 11pm, my host brother invited me to join him and a few friends for a campfire and guitar at the beach. 
It was a very long but amazing day :) 

A few photos
The main church close to my host families apartment. For the festival a statue of Saint Giovanni was taken from this church and paraded around the city. This tradition is distinct of southern Italy.

The view of the main street and square from many of the many balconies. 
A view of the church from the back balcony. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!! It is probably ok to use names:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think so now. But I wanted to be careful at first :)

      Delete
  2. Double wow! You have landed in a gorgeous place--thank you for the detailed descriptions and gorgeous pictures. Love to you and your host family--give your grandma an extra hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! I like that you get to spend time at the beach at the end of a long day. that is a lively way to unwind. Keep tge posts coming!! Ms. Nelson

    ReplyDelete