Translate

Monday, November 7, 2016

November 7 2016

I just got back from an amazing weekend in Malta (more specifically the Island of Gozo).

 When Giovanella first told me we were going to go, she said we were going because Pino had to work. She didn't mention that in addition we would be attending a very fancy art exhibition/Anniversary party for Abrahams's Supplies Company. One of my host parents good friends (who has stayed at the house on occasion) is the international art curator who put together the event. Everyone we met this weekend seemed to be some very fancy person who owned a prestigious restaurant, or sports medicine company or ect. I probably shouldn't have been surprised, I've slowly come to learn that my host dad, Pino, seems to have replaced a knee for every important person in Italy.

Saturday morning we were treated to one of the coolest moments of my life. We were invited to watch the two artists, Alfredo Rapetti Mongol and Austin Camilleri, collaborate to make a few pieces of art. We were able to watch right over their shoulders as they worked, I even held some extra paper out of the way for them. Both have unique styles but use similar techniques. Every piece of art was incorporated into the next one. If one piece had too much paint or water, or whatever substance they were using it was transfered on to the piece of art beside it. It was just as much performance art as visual art. There was music and the smell of paint and fancy waiters walking around with wine and Hors D'oeuvre's. As the artists were finishing up they gave me a hart attack when they started ripping up pieces of the art. Each guest was given a piece to take home! I think because I was one of the most enthralled and attentive viewers while the artists were painting they gave me an extra piece from a different piece, that was different from everyone else's!





In this picture you can see that I am literally standing right over their shoulders.





The art I was given! It was also signed by Signore Mogol who incorporates calligraphy into almost all his art. He even adressed it to me on the back!

After the performance, we were taken to see Gozo's palace. At that point I was pretty exhausted so I didn't retain much information or the history we were told but it was still beautiful!












After our castle adventure and resting for a bit in the very large house we were staying in (I think another one of my host parents friends rents tourists homes) we dressed up to go to dinner. Even before the food was served I knew it was going to be fancy just based on the number of utensils and wine glasses surrounding my plate. The five courses were some of the most delicious food of my life The chef had based each dish on a painting or aspect of the exhibition.  I have pictures of it all below! I'll try my best to explain what it was but my culinary vocabulary is seriously lacking.



Second course(Sorry this out of order but I gave up trying to fix it). Fish risotto that is black because of the ink inside the fish, the white parts are cheese. 

First course. I don' remember what everything was but the middle was a blueberry gazpacho.


Third course. Some sort of steak with a mushroom situation on top, the little round meat piece tasted like brisket, and the little red rectangle had beats.
Fourth course was a pre-dessert! It was a fancy version of cream, honey and a little donut. 
They saved the best for last! A chocolate mouse with raspberries and a raspberry macaroon, and the most delicious cheesecake of my life with mango sorbet. I almost cried when I saw the waiters clearing plates with piece still left on them.
The next day we took a walk along the water, and had lunch at a beautiful restaurant over looking the ocean (of course owned by one of my host parents friends).
Some of the cleanest and clearest water I have seen.



Rotary I promise this was nonalcoholic but 100% delicious.

Our table

More amazing food

Sometimes I take a second to wonder how I would survive all these new experiences with a closed mind. When someone puts baby Octopus on my plate I just say thank you, eat it, and enjoy it.


Overall it was a weekend full of new cultural experiences that I will always cherish!


3 comments:

  1. I agree, an open and curious mind is key to travel, especially the long term, immersive travel that you are experiencing. Only by saying "yes" and trying can you truly learn. I'm so proud of you and so thrilled for all of these amazing opportunities that Giovanella and Pino are giving you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That about says it I think--wow to your experience--no wonder the artists gave you extra pieces of their art; you are so engaged and interested....and beautiful. What a compliment your interest is to the artist. And the food, well, yes, pretty spectacular. I am so glad you took pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. https://www.artsy.net/artist/alfredo-rapetti-mogol
    http://artdaily.com/index.asp?int_sec=11&int_new=52733&int_modo=2#.WCJeoeErL0E

    I looked up both artists - so cool!!!

    ReplyDelete